This is a simple technique to help you focus and get more done. The idea is to work in short intervals of 25 minutes focused on a single task, and take regular breaks to improve concentration.
- Write down a list of things you need to do in priority order.
- Set a timer for 25 minutes.
- Start working on the first task. Try not to interrupt yourself by checking email, or answering the phone. If you do get interrupted, make a note of it, and start the task again as soon as possible.
- When the timer goes off take a short break of 3 to 5 minutes. You’ve just completed your first Pomodoro! This is a great time to check email, or return those phone calls, or to get a cup of coffee. Don’t get sucked in to doing tasks from the email or phone calls though, just add them to your task list.
- Now start your next 25-minute Pomodoro, and keep progressing through your tasks.
- After 4 Pomodoro’s take a longer break of 15 to 30 minutes.
There are some great free Pomodoro timers available. Here is our favourite web based one http://tomatoi.st/.